Tuesday, December 12, 2006

3000 kilometers, a wedding, and stray thoughts

1. The Unwashed Indian Middle Class - If you are really interested in finding out why Indians are stuck in the rut, travel by trains. We just love to litter our trains, we have utter disregard for public places and our behaviour is nothing short of contemptuous towards our fellow human beings. This propensity for squalor, to wallow and spread filth like swines, cuts across boundary of any demography. Language, region even education is no exception (although I like to think that South fares better, but I don't know enough). The obvious conclusion of this is what we get are degrees and not education, that our situation is expected, indeed it would have been a surprise if it was better.
(Don't tell me I am stereotyping. I have travelled enough in trains to form opinion)

2. Loss of a friend - Attending R's marriage I had mixed feeling. I think one should feel happy for friend, but I can only feel pity for myself (yes I am selfish). With every marriage, my circle keeps getting smaller. It is a loss, for the friendship forged in loneliness of bachelorhood, hundreds of miles aways from home is what makes life worth living, otherwise after a point this loneliness begins to gnaw at innards, suck any meaning behind living. After marriage these bonds of transit melt away, a bond to last a lifetime taking place of camaraderie. The unstated but nevertheless understood comfort is replaced by formality, that too is swept aside by tides of time.

3. Meaning of marriage - Besides providing a stable environment for one's child that is. I doubt marriage is as much about companionship, as about finding stability, an anchorage so as to say. I field terribly old nowadays with realization that possibly soon I will be only bachelor among my friends.

4. Wages of secularism - At Mathura railway station there is a mural, nothing brilliant about it, but it depicts life of Lord Krishna. Now I think someday some aggrieved party will object to this, because Railway station is a government property and since we happen to be secular we can't have any association with religion, or otherwise demand a mural of Prophet Mohammad or Jesus Christ to balance the religious tilt. This is my main objection to secularism, not that it is, beyond giving a warm feeling, meaningless, but that pursuit of false ideals is a recipe to disaster and decrepitude. I know you will object that there is no realistic chance of this happening, and that would be true for now, but what about tomorrow ? For the truth is a majority of people who support have not the foggiest idea and do it for sake of fashion, it is the fringe minority but zealous about the cause (just like communist or socialist in earlier times) which drives the agenda and pushes what is kosher and what is not, step by step.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gaurav
If I take a trip down memory lane, I see a Tomboy*me (grins!), a book firmly gripped in her left hand,lost in a kaleidoscope of images and clamour/sounds that the trains provide...especially, those first class reserved compartments where fat-n-fair men have their clothes dried across the windows, their huge bellies pondering over some more delicacies...haha!
now come down to south,yes, we are more sophisticated and well-learned (hush,dnot be so furious)..I meant cultured!
South Indians love banana fruits...so please be On your guard! you dnot know which corner something flies towards you like unknown a missile or when your feet drawn by this amorous trap..gosh, now u put me in the right mood!just the kind of mood I need to be in before a presentation...n am struggling with that BFH syndrome.

loved this post! but will come back to this soon...I have to touch upon that Marriage bit

FOOD is a celebration in train journeys..I missed that a lot..who invented those flying objects?all said n done, despite it's being and uncouth as rendered by humans, train journeys in India are insightful, loaded wth humor! it always carries the typical Indian touch, warmth and loudness..what u say?
ah, how can I forget spitting? I once dragged a man out of the train compartment when the damage landed on my tresses....haha!
soon I am here again! till then enjoy life as it comes
-Jyo

doubtinggaurav said...

Jyo,

Well I have no objection to warmth (Indian or otherwise), but I refuse to sit for 30 hours in other's filth

Anonymous said...

@Marriage
the concept of this traditional, age-old frame of space in the society is getting contemporised in the minds...it's different an issue that whether or not the concept is actually practived upon..
am not sure, Marriage is capable of releasing the so-called stability to the frayed nerves? or is it just a material of legacy we are chewing on? or one more milestone the society expects you to log in ,n in case you are not able to within the estimated timeslot you are seen as...tch,tch...I dnot agree with this! it's conventional POV.
I feel most of us extremely clear minded, not so much desirous of seeking balance from marriage, but nurture a liking for someone who seems to be complementing us with her/his complexities n simple joys or someone who completes us...
Marriagehood is more than having someone you love with the four walls you live and sleep with n build a life around you...it's all about finding companionship,reviving or rejuvenating those empty bodies of moments that cme along with meaningful conversations, delectable arguments,avoidable laughter and unavoidable conflict...umm!
it's living with someone who makes you realise how fresher, vibrant u could be, how spontaneous u could be...that means consistent n sustained movement of energies between you n her...someone who enables u to find newer an aspect about you... if this does not happen in the marriage, it's as good as a nullified system that thrives on mere responsibilities as doled out by generous thing called life
no wonder, most of us are cautious...want to avoid the occurrence of silence, dead material between the walls...
umm, u should not feel old! stop that thought there itself!
out of my experience, I say, the hardest thing one could do is to feel comfortable with himself/herself, the silence around and loneliness....dnot you ever equate marriage with happiness, stability and a sense of achievement....it has its own heavy baggage
this is such a miserable phase of any relationship (Love pre-marriage, Post marriage, Post child marriagehood etc etc.) could get into..."the conversations seemed forced. As if both of us are carefully assessing each word before speaking. our wave has weakened. Words fail us, we are scared about each word, the heaviness looms large in the room, silence becomes unbearable, but feel helpless to fill in the silence, and through admitting this does not make it any stronger; it does give me an excuse to remain alone with you. At least, know that we've lost touch with comfortable silence"...I feel!-Jyo

doubtinggaurav said...

How did I miss this one

Are you sure this contemporization is neccessarily a good thing.

Why do we take conventional as a bad thing.

Last what is this thing called love.

Anonymous said...

Gaurav,

@How did I miss this one..
{smiles} wonder, what made you to turn back?
@"Contemporization" means the mindset of "not being stuck in a rut"..never ever said conventional is a bad thing, but one can be in tune with the times,while also respecting certain norms n values grown up with! contemporariness allows one to give more importance to his/her individuality, aspirations...more than this one does what he/she thinks is right, is acting upon his/her conscience,what he or she is capable of,what he/she expresses one's way of life...dnot you agree?
@Love...
I thought of quoting Pablo Neruda...then,I said some other time!

...In silence the heart raves.
It utters words Meaningless, that never had a meaning.
...Through a straw. There is nothing like beauty. It stops your heart. It thickens your blood. It stops your breath. It makes you feel dirty. You need a hot bath.
I thought I would die if she saw me....Robert Penn Warren

doubtinggaurav said...

J,

Well while I do agree that conventional marriages are not perfect, they are not exactly stuck in rut, rather I think that they do wrok. Being engineer I believe in the motto "if it ain't broke dont fix it".
Besides what are the parameters for upgrade or do we change socials institutions just on the whims of fashion.
Point is marriage does require understanding and even compromise from both sides, this generation seems to forget this which is hardly a good thing.

Priority wise I place family over individual, but that is just me.

About love, The common place has a charm which can not be approached by the love lorn ditties.

Anonymous said...

Gaurav,
extending the discussion....
irrespective of the degree of contemporary-mindedness an individual displays to the world, in most cases, he/she tends to slink away from it at the milestone called Marriage...
Sure, marriages laden with conventional tricks*(sorry) and rituals do survive and look soo perfect...but the flavour is "more of the same". who wants it?
but you have a point...I was watching Boogie Woogie Super moms contest, brilliant programme and the encouragement women these are getting from their husbands n children is just amazing..so enchanting to see families stay together, happy families...oh, FAMILY IS SOMETHING THAT HAS TO BE FLAUNTED!sure, there's lesser degree of suppression and more respect for woman at/outisde home...cause she is educated and articulate n empowered with her expression!
now coming to your engineering bit, let me also grab a tool from my Mechaninal Engg.workshop, more than fixing something broken or has the potential to break at home, couples with contemporary mindset tend to create newer experiences at home, it could be new way vacationing, both wife and husband doing further courses together, following their passions...ye I come here, it's all about "creating personal spaces with marriage".."I respect yours, while you respect mine"..this healthy understanding, to what extent, exists in conventional/stereo-typed marriage systems, is dubious a thing.
@it's not upgradation
but "evolving with times" boy!
fashions are fleeting things, evolving is a phenomenon, enduring by nature
@which one is better : compromise? or understanding"
I vote for the second
@that personal spaces I talked about up there, if it is maintained, your individualism n individualistic pursuits are taken care of.
umm
@love..just to share this beautiful note from Schiller
on love
....the most beautiful phenomenon in creation endowed with soul, the omnipotent magnet in the world of mind, the source of devotion, and of the most sublime virtue - love is but the reflected appearance of this single primal force, an attraction of the excellent, founded upon a momentary exchange of beings...
J

doubtinggaurav said...

J,

Call me cynic, to me it seems that romance of individual is the biggest delusion of the age.
Heroes can stand alone, but we who can do nothing but sing the ballads for them need each other
:-)

Anonymous said...

Gaurav
am a bit struggling with Syncope
these days,
a long way to go to the world's war crimes stage....
there is the forest that enchants me always,
sweet fragrance scent the wind
cast a spell upon my heart,
drunk my feet walk and walk
unstable, oh it is such a strain
to meet a skeptical mind....

doubtinggaurav said...

J

:), Shirley you jest