Reading Vidia
One good thing that came out of train journey over weekend was I was finally able to finish A House For Mr Biswas. I started the book with some trepidation, for my previous experience of Naipaul was limited to either autobiographical or non fiction, written exclusively in first person, reminisce and anecdotes blending into pithy observations in a manner which is brilliant without being verbose. I was not sure what to expect from the book, which to me was the first work of fiction by him. With the caveat that I am hardly connoisseur of literature, I admit that I have been most impressed with the book. In style Naipaul is similar to Joseph Conrad, as well as Ernest Hemingway. He narrates story with short and simple sentences, and like aforementioned authors uses the power of prose to weave a rich and intricate pattern of life, euphoric and enchanting.
What attracted me most about the book was he managed to bring a vivid picture of Indians (or to be precise diaspora) without exoticizing India as our modern writers are wont to do. Of course spices, and colour do make an appearance, but here they are part of larger story, instead of props (or should we call item numbers of literature) or worse the whole story itself.
All in all, a most enjoyable read

0 comments:
Post a Comment