The eminent dilemma
(Related posts by Rohit, Sabnis, Amit Varma)
Singur is latest in series of controversies concerned with government takeover of land for industrial development. The principle behind this action is knows as eminent domain.
As mentioned in the posts linked above, the case against this principle because it violates right to property. This is a valid argument. In theory, free markets work best when players act according to their own judgement, supposing any such judgement follow rational self interest and bounded by required legal enforcement. Any intervention will cause distortions, which more often than not will have sub optimal results. Therefore theoretically eminent domain should be eschewed.
I do not however totally agree with the premise of the above posts (that restoration of right of property is the "complete" solution*), because in my opinion this is where reality deviates from theory.
As this article indicates, the first problem is co ordination between a large number of sellers. In India the land holding is in general small, and this means that any private player who wishes to buy a considerable tract of land has to deal with a large number of sellers simultaneously. Thus co-ordinating the sale is a critical issue for completion of transaction.
The second problem is that since for any transaction to be completed requires a large number of small transactions, in effect the over all transaction is held hostage to successful completion of every transactions. This implies that theoretically** any seller acting purely on self interest can demand very steep price, this probability increases if non rational factors (such as emotional attachment) are also at play. Coupled with lack of co-ordination, this situation makes completion of transaction very difficult.
I can think of a tentative solution. While a person may have exclusive right to his property, he doesn't have any corresponding right on utilities, such as electricity, road.
In general organization and improvement of farm land is heavily dependant on extensive use of utilities.
Hence control of utilities can be transferred to community, and its use its decided on basis on simple majority. This will act as a deterrent again problem described in previous paragraph, while maintaining the right of property.
* I paraphrase but that was what I gleaned.
** Theoretically is the key word, I don't have enough data to test the hypothesis.
PS My earlier post
PPS I am engineer, not economist, so if you think that what I have written is rubbish, please don't hate me. Just assume this is "love neighbourhood ignoramus" week.

4 comments:
In India the land holding is in general small, and this means that any private player who wishes to buy a considerable tract of land has to deal with a large number of sellers simultaneously. Thus co-ordinating the sale is a critical issue for completion of transaction.
I don't deny that a broker is required. I just have problems with government having the monopoly on playing the broker. If this monopoly is removed, private entities, competing with each other, will step in to broker these deals. Their value-add in this process will be dealing with all the sellers.
Sabnis,
Co-ordination is only first of the problem. To me second one if correct (my caveat in the post applies) is more severe
Gaurav
is it Eminent domain? or Condemnation?
as said in the link provided by you ...the act of a government exercising its power of eminent domain to transfer title to private property from its rightful owner to itself...
the situation in hand seems to be satisfying the need of "exploiting the domain's right to a fuller extent' than to enable "industrial growth" or breathe in some nonsensical "economic growth in the so perceived lagging hinterlands"
I support Economist Shubhashis Gangopadhyay's solution:
an auction where the government’s role is only to solve the coordination problem. snatching away land that still has life of its own from those who are depending on it for their existence/livelihood, undoubtedly, a crime. I am not sure to what extent the lives would ever be the same, even if projected value of the property/land in the days to come, is paid to the owner.
@why cant Government be the facilitator or the coordinator(instead of dying to be an opportunist and pocket the differential value) and follow what the economist (aforementioned) suggested?
both the parties should (seller and the buyer-the private party) gain, not the coordinator, who, understandably, have no intention to pave a way for growth (nation's or public's)!
@Once this is achieved, guess your second concern would fall in place
J,
Refer to my previous comment.
I think there are two problems
1. Co-Ordination
2. Ability of seller to hijack (as a way of speaking) whole transaction
Post a Comment