Spirituality
I find notion of spirituality underwhelming. Let me clarify. I do not profess that I have the Brahma Gyan, further I don't even think (think as opposed to know), that any religion is perfect embodiment of Brahman , or there should be comparison just for sake of it. Also, I do not contend that the phenomena called spirituality has no merit (requires greater understanding).
No I have trouble with "spirituality" because to me it is not serious. What I mean by "serious" is the consideration whether any kind of thought process is involved, whether any attempt to articulate the problem and analyze to arrive at some conclusion is made.
And it is here where "spirituality" falters, there is no emphasis or attempt at contemplation. Rather it is land enveloped by the fog of clever yet more often than not syrupy and shallow sermons. It is driven less by wisdom, and more by acclamation of collective ignorance and propensity to conform to popular. It is a mistake when people try to achieve enlightenment by shunning knowledge and following blind faith and rituals, for avoidance of intellect is not the way to God but opposite.
The man of today is an end product of unparalleled technological advances, and resulting material revolution, but the dilemma that he faces is eternal, that is the question of existence. Historically religion and philosophy provided the answer.
However the religion has declined, mainly due to dogma and ritualism, and as a result philosophy is disconnected from any speculation on elevated conscience. On the other hand evolution of science and its troubled relationship with Abrahamic religions has ensured that more often than not it stands antagonistic to religion, this being age of science, religion has become verboten as a subject.
Buffeted by on one hand science which has crossed over from reason to dogma and religious atrophy on the other hand, the only escape is provided by "spirituality". And yet it is not the escape, but eager embrace of life which should be sought.

2 comments:
hey there I could not understand your comment abt the "Seriousness" of Spirituality.
Here are some of my thoughts:
Open Source Spirituality: http://www.drishtikone.com/?q=node/1551
My Thoughts on Spirituality: http://www.drishtikone.com/?q=node/217
I would like to suggest Krishnamurthi's books - specifically "Total Freedom" .. and Swami Venkatesananda's translation of "Vasistha Yoga".
Cheers,
Desh
Drishtikone.com
Desh,
When I said seriousness, I meant I find effort lacking in common people (as opposed to philosophers like Vivekanand and Krishnamurthi)
who follow spirituality.
Regards
Post a Comment