Thoughts
1. Nature has no bill of rights
2. I think whatever be the original reason behind second amendment, it has a subtle philosophical connection with first amendment, which is, a free man has the right to defend, on his own, his freedom using arms and further he "should" be willing to bear arms and not merely depend on other. Absent the will, the very idea of first amendment is beyond absurd.
3. There is no such thing as absolute freedom.
4. Civilization faces danger from two directions.
One is from outside, an attack by hostile power. Now it is entirely possible that such attacks can destroy a civilization either by overpowering outright or by weakening over a prolonged period, former illustrated by destruction of Abbasid Empire and later is by decline of Byzantine . But even after being humbled by foe, it is possible to civilization to survive and rise.
The greater danger is from inside, because it goes unnoticed.That danger is the moral degeneration of civilization. But what is meant by the morality of civilization?
The morality of civilization implies, the belief and pride, down to humblest, in the civilization.
It means the will to defend civilization, against mlecchas. It is also the will to prevent civilization from turning on itself, by the complacency that affluence and comfort breeds, to guard against intellectual sloth. A warning bell against fog of moral obfuscation. It implies effort to improve the civilization, in material as well as spiritual sense. It is a mistake to cast life in terms of good and evil. Life is a perennial struggle between atrophy and vigour. It is this struggle which decides the
fate of civilization. It is the siddhi which moves even the Gods.
I like to think that the our sages were capable of such act, this is why we survive till this date.
May be I am right, or may be I am just looking through rose tinted glasses. Looking at past, because present is so foreboding.

7 comments:
G
that's lethal combination, i.e.ambiguous history and intriguing philosophy.My heart instead of delighting over a comfortable saturday breakfast (pasta cooked in milk n other ingredients) ran berserk,navigated its way through the historical trenches of "disambiguous land/civilsation called Byzantine", reached the silk route, stood breathless for a while, to take the curve to witness the destruction of Baghdad by ruthless criminals,Mongols...barbarians here they come!have u read this poem!will share that with you later...
gosh, what a heady trip I took over the breakfast table...I will remember this...at our rendezvous- (Goliath & Midget)
I agree with you on the point 4 & 1.Profound. 3 to some extent
Nothing is the cause of consciousness, which is the cause of its own way of being.The mystical journey into self can be terminated at the last mile when one recognises limitattions of ones life, self and decide whether or not to continue the further journey, thus challenging self to accumulte necessary responsibility for one's actions that have all the probability to create much avoidable despair and anguish...J
G
Past in the present. Had any war been fought for a set of values and philosophies in the past? we grew up on the folklore of wars that were fought for treasure or for dominance or for quenching that burning desire!
More of the same,I guess,with more futuristic n sophisticated ammunition!
J,
I am really disappointed.
You were distacted by trifles of history, and ignored pasta !
This is outrageous, you must do some penance quick. May be for the coming week you should subist solely on a diet consisting of italian cuisine
Read J's comment and suddenly realised that among the various things I had never imagined - I had never imagined pasta for breakfast. Well, you learn each day.
Secondly, coming to G's post. Why has our civilisation (the hindu civilisation) survived so long (while others have vanished) and why is it at it's lowest ebb at the moment? According to someone I was reading last night, it is because the hindus believed in the one-ness of the entire world. This gave them macro-scopic vision. A true vision upon which they acted. Thus it was not so difficult to work for the society, for the world - because the society and the world were not so apart from our own selves. No one had to be distroyed, everyone would be helped. It is this ideal that kept us from sinking - and it is the alienation of this ideal that is bringing us down. We have become so much smaller than what we are capable of simply because we will only work for our own selves - or even our families, and our own society. If it will help soem XYZ whom we dont know, then we stop working. How much potential goes wasted because of this - and how much of ourselves we lose because we hate.
n
well, a tiny bowl of pasta crammed with the wholesome goodness of milk, cubes of potatoes and other great tasing vegetables is not too heavy for a human (me!) who skipped her dinner previous night and who had a rigorous gym regime that morning....well, slender bodies do nurture healthy Appetites...foodie!...
G..umm, am glad!
N,
When I become supreme overlord of the world (in which a certain ad-maker is going to assist me), I will make eating pasta mandatory as a dessert.
Coming to the question of Hindu (or as I like the word Indic civilization), that is a interesting point of view, I have a rather muddled view. May be will write someday
knoc-knock...G
a reminder: you still have not written that post on mobile capture of Sad's execution (technology,the intruder)....J
Post a Comment