Thursday, July 26, 2007

Losing sleep

The reason our gentle PM lost sleep over detention of Haneef has nothing to do with accused's innocence or heavy handed, (and admittedly suspicious) approach of Australian authorities towards investigation.

As is obvious, he was pandering to Muslims. In a nation as diverse as ours, batting for specific interest groups, reaps electoral dividends. The subsequent fracture in polity is to be expected, and which is what occurring in India today, with sectarian groups demanding their pound of flesh. Survival of India depends on our ability to salvage whatever order remains, and willingness to start afresh, Republic 2.0 in other words.

It is such a pity that "Indians", by definition, can not be an interest group.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also think in the same breath, whether our gentle PM would have lost sleep if any Hindu or other minorities was detained. I really doubt that & its this appeasement which should stop immediately to save this republic.

Anonymous said...

Sounds familiar

doubtinggaurav said...

Kalyan,

I doubt the republic can be saved

Frog,

Yes kind of same