Monday, September 17, 2007

Conceit

I admire conceit, conceit being one of most remarkable qualities in a man.

Is it possible for us, safely ensconced in the constant and unvarying milieu which goes under the name of modern times, to appreciate the Faustian bargains struck by mere mortals with the furies of nature just after the fall, the exile forced by a petrified God, scared of its own eternity.

The banishment of beastly essence, by burying him within innermost recesses of human mind.
Disfiguring that freeborn with the brand of civilization until we had a monster roaming in the labyrinths of sub-conscious, prototype of a malevolent deity, or even, dare I say, yes I should, phantom of the opera. All the time, while this mutilation was being performed, artificial diffused into the natural until it became impossible to differentiate between perfidy of the civilization and imprisoned, but inwardly raging, truth.

Conceit as well as guilt are the marks of that diffusion, the tragedy twice perpetrated, biblical narrative inverted, exile and captivity.

10 comments:

silverine said...

Hi Gaurav,

I apologize for any hurt caused by that comment at my post. That was not the intention of the post, but it being a public post people will (mis)interpret it any which way.

Anjali

doubtinggaurav said...

Anjali,

Actually I enjoyed your post, so nothing is amiss, I was just responding to some commentator.
So I hope no misunderstanding. :-)

By the way I do agree that people need to travel more, and I can understand when people feel irked by all encompassing "madrasi" moniker. It is ignorant to consider all of south India as one monolithic entity just like it is ignorant to consider all of north India as one monolithic entity.

PS There are four directions ;-)

Ritwik said...

Gaurav,

1. Are you preparing for bloody GRE?

2. Can you explain in human language what that post means?

doubtinggaurav said...

Ritwik,

Not quite zen are we? Fikar not, it means nothing.As ancients have verily remarked

"If thou cans't astound wit' thy wit, then thou must confound with thy (bull)shit"

And please have some respect for my age.GRE at this age, what do you take me for some unwashed ape?

silverine said...

Thank you :) And you are right there are four directions and when it comes to achcha khana I am heading North!! :p

doubtinggaurav said...

Anjali,

You are most welcome, and I guarantee you achcha khana, as nowadays most popular cuisine in northern eateries is "dakshina bhartiya" ( And so called "chinese", but we shall not talk about that) :P

Ritwik said...

Now that my Zen-ness has been called into question, respond I must.

Essentially, you want to say

1. Civilization is unnatural.
2. The artifical imposition of the unnatural on the inherent beastly nature of man leads to a sub-conscious monster, a 'phantom of the opera'.
3. Conceit is the self-imposed exile from the truth of our own irrelevance. Guilt is the captivity imposed by civilization, over the truth of the irrelevance of the others.

But why the hell is the God petrified?

doubtinggaurav said...

Which just shows why people must read my archives which are full of pseudo-ness

Ritwik said...

Hey Bhagwan. Mujhe to lagta tha ki mujhse bada pseud paida hi nahin hua.

Interesting stuff, though, I must say.

doubtinggaurav said...

Ritwik,

Now that you are convinced, please make Sriram see the reason.