Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kalaingar Kronicles

Ram is mythical, Kumari Kandam on the other hand is authentic history.

PS: My objection per se is not that Dravidian politics is bonkers. So is socialism, whether of Lohia, Gandhi or Nehru flavors, which reigns UP. Socialism can be explained as a result of intellectual poverty which is the curse of Gangetic plains. However how can TamizhNadu, with her intellectual capital, endorse Dravidian politics ? I mean, I do get Hindi riots, but that happened forty years ago! But then I have never been able to figure why Malayalees support comrades despite the havoc they have wreaked upon Kerala. Second, Dravidian politics is essentially divisive in nature and as long as it is active, it will work against idea of India.

Update: Kalaingar may be old but exhausted he is not. Here he arrives like Rajaraja Chola*.

TN CM lashes out at Congress, insists Ram is 'myth'( via good folks from Signal)

""They (UPA Government) first said Ram was a fiction of public imagination and then the next day they've refuted that claim. What kind of self-respecting Government would do that? Ram is a myth - it was an Aryan God imposed upon the Dravidians. They (UPA Government) have said Ram was an imaginary person and now they've backtracked on that claim,” Karunanidhi lashed out."[IBN Live]


You go Doctor. Show truth to bloody Aryans.

Oops. I am a bloody Aryan. All right, that's fine.

Dear infraVindhayans (Dravidians)**,

Not withstanding the strides that you might be making in all social-economical indicators,I would like to remind you that as Aryans we supraVindhayans totally pwned you.Also I am blond, have a alabaster complexion and ice blue eyes.
So basically what I saying is I am hot and you are not. And if you hate that, you can suck on it.

* Is it Chola or Chozha? FiTWji comment please.

**This is with tongue firmly in cheek. Don't make it a rediff message board.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

However how can TamizhNadu, with her intellectual capital, endorse Dravidian politics ?

What intellectual capital?

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

Experience suggests to me that down the Vindhayas more brain power resides why is it so, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

Gaurav,

I am touched by your faith in the intellectual capital of tamil politcs.

Anonymous said...

The academically accomplished tamils are *almost* exclusively from the Brahmin communities. The Dravidian movement has always been anti-brahmin, and Brahmins are perhaps something like 3% of the Tamil Nadu population.

An aside, I think families which are already advanced are better off guiding their children, and this perpetuates. For instance, there are two subsects of Iyengars - Tengalai and Vadagalai. I am told that there are 3 or 5 times as many Tengalais as Vadagalais and that Tengalais control more temples. So by no means are Tengalais oppressed, but for ten academically highly successful Vadagalais I see, I see one such Tengalai. Interestingly, some Vadagalais maintain that Tengalais are "lower caste people converted by Ramanujacharya".

doubtinggaurav said...

XYZ, Frog

OK what I am saying may be inaccurate , so I apologize for any offense inadvertently caused.

What I have seen is there is tendency among "certain" bloggers hailing from TamizhNadu to endorse Dravidian mentality. Even though they are otherwise smart, there is an undercurrent of chauvinism (or perhaps exclusivity ?), insularity bordering on antipathy ?

Again I would like to clarify I mean only a few of them and not all, I believe they go under the name of ICC (Incestuous chennaites clique)or something.

Anonymous said...

It is Chozhan.

Anyway you can abuse Dravidians as much as you like. I consider myself an Aryan oppressor. kRNvantu vishvam AryaM :-)

Anonymous said...

Kupa mundaka,
you are entitled to your prejudices.

I know that are smart people in all communities.Though certain cultural traditions(like the vadakalai iyengars) have fostered intellectual pursuits.Indviduals have excelled in many fields.

The problem with karunanidhi he is a moderate tamil nationalist who is bigoted against everyone else on issues of language and reservation.

He is still better compared to PMK,viduthalai chiruttais(a dalit outfit),pazha nedumaaran(of the tamil nationalist movement).There are such thugs even in the congress.One such is sudarshana nachiappan,MP,head a parliamentary committees which advocates reservations in iits,iims,Supreme Court.He is a powerful landlord,who has strong dravidian feelings.It is also a fact that tamil non-brahmanas are very poorly represented in national institutions.They of course dominate in TN.There is a mismatch between their dominance in TN and poor representation in the UG programmes of IIT and PGP programmes in IIM .This asymmetry between brahmanas and others is very pronounced in TN and perhaps in karnataka as well.
This is where perceptions in ramayana and popular folklore come in.Karu sees himself as a descendant of ravana,while kishkinda was located in karnataka.

The tamil nationalist feelings are pervasive in tamil media/TV,public life,universities because of distinct tamil literary tradition and reservation directed against one community.

To some extent this is inevitable because tamizh has an independent tradition.

But as far as caste system is concerned,though the classical system of manu does not prevail,(it is non existent outside UP,Haryana,Rajasthan,MP and mithila)the tamils are as casteist as any other indian group.

Gaurav,i know you do not like chandrabhan prasad,but i have to quote him.It is in punjab and TN,that dalits are still primarily landless labourers.

Which shows how much Hinduism has changed.But it is so called rational,egalitarian tamils and the 'egalitarian' jat sikhs who are far behind.

In TN the predominant dalit labourer community,the pallars,have no voice in the tamil literary,cultural or political landscape.

At all india level,a dalit 'middle class' has been 'created' by reservations.There is an incentive for them to remain separate.

Gaurav,
do you have any ideas for 'emancipation' without freezing their identity.

Perhaps,if reservation in higher education/jobs is restricted to say one generation,it will encourage assimilation.

Anonymous said...

Tamils have been the most enthusiastic supporters of Mandal I and II because they have their own agenda of represntation under the guise of backwardness.

doubtinggaurav said...

xyz,

Thanks for the insight.

By the way I don't think Frog meant that there are no intelligent people in other communities. I believe just like you he was talking about tradition of intellect (intellectual capital in other word).

Reg. reservation, it is a difficult topic and frankly I don't know the answer which is why so far I have refrained from commenting on reservation.

Anonymous said...

Shell shocked by bus burning barbarism.So much hatred for TN in karnataka.

doubtinggaurav said...

xyz,

Yes the incidence is shocking and deserves nothing but condemnation.