On Nandigram
Few articles on Nandigram
Pratap Bhanu Mehta , not his best, still worth read.
Tavleen Singh , usual tripe, but hey public loves it.
Bibek Debroy in a surprising column comes as supportive of privatizing law enforcement. He does add an overall regulatory role of government, however the point is the assumption that government which can not enforce law can oversee private players (for enforcement) is questionable, to say the least.
Best, in my opinion, is by Swapan Dasgupta , in previous post I was alluding to the possibility that the polarization on communal lines may precipitate in re occurrence of pre-partition communal massacre. I admit this is a bit far fetched, however I think Bengali psyche is not well understood. It is mostly my conjecture, but I think Bengalis are very emotional. Long back when I was reading Guru Aurobindo, I came across a statement which I didn't understand at that time. Guru asserted, I am paraphrasing here, that there was Bengali enlightenment precisely because Bengali have belief. Which possibly will explain why Bengali have been at fore front of social upheavals whether national awakening or later communism. In fact I think, the reason Bengal was attracted to communism, because Bengal which relied on intellect couldn't compete for leadership of nationalist movement based on masses. That and the trauma of partition possibly turned Bengal to communism, of course the industrial policies of the central government did not help. Of course Bengali intellectual has tried to forget the tragedy, as is clear from the fact that there has been no significant literary or otherwise output on Bengal partition, in marked contrast to Punjab, however no lessons were learned and the history may repeat itself, only this time it will remain tragedy and not farce.

0 comments:
Post a Comment