Friday, September 05, 2008

A rose is as you like it

MAG protests that my criticism of liberalism is mistaken in that liberalism is actually classical liberalism, and not what I imply. My answer, it depends. If you believe that liberalism, like Marxism, refers to a particular doctrine then of course you are right to insist on the definition. As it happens I don't think that this is the generally accepted meaning. Meaning of liberalism (or conservatism), like left wing-right wing schism, is a moving target depending on the historical context. Sure liberalism started as classical liberalism, but early in the last century American progressives appropriated it for their agenda of increased government intervention. Why this switch happened is something I don't know (although I have my idea), but as things stand, in America liberalism stand for government spending, and I am perfectly OK with it. Here I concede that in Europe liberalism refers indeed to the classical variety. In India I don't think this matters, we are fighting our political battles on different battleground altogether.

PS. Oh and by the way, you can follow this blog. Isn't it awesome.

blog comments powered by Disqus