Commentariacy
Kind of busy to write any new post, hence re-posting comments made on Swapan Da's blog,
On Junking ugly Hindu image
#
Swapan Da,
I am a bit puzzled so I hope you will help me here.
1. You said that H word (modified to ugly H word in this post) is a hindrance to pursuance of power. Hence
2. You suggested that
a. BJP drop H word and
b. BJP adapt programs for reforms and good governance.
Keeping the tenability of the premise aside for the moment, on what basis do you think reforms or governance will be such a vote getter. If the aim is to get votes whats wrong with good old bribes like free color TVs or free Gold rings or even reservations after all they have worked.
and
#
On second thoughts I have a feeling that centre right clique has really no idea how to go about this junking Hindutva (ugly or otherwise). Now BJP could do without enthusiasm of certain power peddlers regarding promoting bigotry of Varun Gandhi as ideological hallmark of cultural nationalism and should disassociate itself with such bigotry or thuggery. However secular liberal establishment and its propaganda arm, which is most of ELM, will persist in associating BJP and whoever professes to cultural nationalism with such sociopaths even if it protests to the contrary. In fact such pronouncement of disassociation and the ensuing pandemonium will just add to the secular media grist mill.
In my opinion the only effective to distance (and distance we must) from the nuts is by action. Come V Day or whatever tawdry western imitation there is bound to be vandalism by lumpen Hindutva, BJP government must ensure that safety of property whether private or public and anyone attempting to vandalize them are brought to the justice preferable in full media glare.
On internecine war in BJP
#
Many commentators are blaming Arun Jaitley for loss. While I am sure some share of blame must go to Arun Jaitley, the reasons for defeat go much beyond follies and foilbles of individuals (even Rajnath Singh) and are due to structural inadequacies not just in BJP but also Indian polity, foremost of which is the tendency to circle the wagons, I hold no brief for Mr Kulkarni but finding fault with him for publishig in Tehelka. Which is why I find this debate over Hindutva disappointing, and I speak as someone who supported booting Varun Gandhi out before elections. Whatever the merits or demerits of Hindutva, it was secondary if hardly any cause. The primary cause is CCC or chronic credibility crisis.
#
Swapan Da,
I have long (and by long I mean post 2004 debacle) wondered about the civil war (or catharsis) in BJP and somehow I am less sanguine about its effect.
While you are correct that instinctive avoidance from any substantial debate and instead relying on behind the doorschintans is the reason for the sorry state that BJP finds itself in. However the central leadership is intellectually bankrupt and I can find no evidence that it is capable of critical analysis and self interospection. I am afraid that this latest episode like the previous ones i.e. cover up. Which is why I don't think that passing the buck is the best strategy for failure. I will prefer that the things are allowed to cool down, and the adults focus on the reasons voters didn't vote for BJP in Lok Sabha while they have voted for BJP in state elections and how to rectify them.
Related to that I think Modi is a Non Starter, his nomination will incur the full wrath of secular right establishment and the prospective allies will run away like frightened horses. Sushma Swaraj is a better option. Of course this is coming from a guy who supported Arun Shourie for 2009
By the way I may sound rude but rare exceptions (BJP Supporter Oldtimes etc)apart the level of debate here is pretty disappointing though hardly unexpected
On soporific banality of Sudheendra Kulkarni
#
Totally off the topic but I can't stand Sudheendra Kulkarni. Not in the sense of attitude or behaviour but he provides no insight, and there is not a reason to suspect that he possesses any capacity for critical thinking, he is full of superficial rhetoric and platitudes, and his writing is guided more by what is considered cool by the cocktail circuit. He is even more unbearable than Tarun Vijay.
