Perils Of Freakonomics
As readers (accidental as well as unfortunate) must be aware already, I am commonplace ignoramus as far as general scheme of life is concerned, and quite profound (ignoramus that is) when field is Economics. As such this is comfortable existence, however the ignorance is a bit of impediment when I have to write about economics, and this time I have to. So appealing for mercy in advance and meditating upon Jagadguru, I proceed.
Article that concerns us is this and the ensuing chaos (caused mostly by repentant but still persistent dunali) in comments here. The crux of the issue is that Talented Mr Pai is not happy with the proposed exit tax , in fact he is feeling very bad. Let deconstruction begin. The article covers three issues, which must be kept separate.
1. The rationale behind subsidies: Mr Pai contends it is wrong to subsidize higher studies. I agree totally (My first DP link, such fond memories) , and this post by Incredible Mr Dey should be enough to convince . Related to this is the desirability or morality of preventing emigration.
If Mr Pai had kept this as main arguement, I believe there would not that much disagreement. However, discontinuing the subsidies is not the focus of the article, opposition to exit tax is.
2. Implementation of exit tax: Mr Pai contends it is a costly and difficult measure.
Now broadly implementation has two broads components, first the calculation of exit tax, How do we calculate tax ? Now to me a sensible way is to keep the tax at opportunity cost, which is the return which state would have got if it had invested the capital somewhere else. Assuming that economics does have some characteristics of steady state equilibrium (I am just borrowing the phrase I am familiar), I think this opportunity cost will be equal to the positive externalities that Government is expecting from investing in higher education. Of course what constitutes positive externalities in this case is not easy to decide. Or if we have too much of time, opportunity cost should be equal to returns from student working at country minus remittances sent by student from abroad.
Now I am not the best authority on this, so I may be wrong, however I agree that calculation of tax is a difficult and more importantly boring exercise.This being a fun blog, can not support any boring exercise.
Similarly the second problem how to actually extract tax, is also complicated as mentioned in the Economic Times article.
In short the implementation , as we see is not easy either. If Mr Pai had focussed on implementation, even in that case I would have no problem. However he didn't .
3. Loss of "guilt": Unfortunately this was the main arguement of the article, which started with this example from path breaking book Freakonomics
"Parents used to arrive late to collect their children, forcing a teacher to stay after closing time. We introduced a monetary fine for late-coming parents. As a result the number of late-coming parents increased significantly. After the fine was removed no reduction occurred. We argue that penalties are usually introduced into an incomplete contract, social or private. They may change the information that agents have and therefore the effect on behavior may be opposite than expected. If this is true, the deterrence hypothesis loses its predictive strength, since the clause ‘everything else is left unchanged’ might be hard to satisfy." [Link]
Incidentally I have just finished this book. Explaining the reason behind failure of best laid plans of day care center to enforce punctuality, Steven Levitt (author of the book) described importance to take into account moral incentive along with the remunerative incentive.
Moral incentive works as a social courtesy, or norm, and while its exact nature is dependent on the extant culture, as a general principle it is most effective when transaction is of personal nature and further when observance of social courtesy is disconnected from any financial cost. The problem then with the plan (of day care center) was that with introduction of penalty, in other words introduction of financial cost, the moral incentive (guilt arising out of inconvenience caused to day care center workers by delay in picking) was eliminated and the opportunity cost of penalty was so small (compared to pick the children at leisure) that more parents started picking late.
However, Steven Levitt clarified, if the penalty were high enough to exceed the opportunity cost of picking at leisure, it would have been possible to ensure that the delays are minimized.
Now drawing parallel from this case, Mr Pai asserted that imposing exit tax will eliminate moral incentive and actually encourage emigration, without backing up this assertion with any data.
But I am going to be frank, no amount of data could convince me of the "guilt". The reason for this is having "wallowed in the halls" of the concerned institute I can confidently state that "rare exception" apart, when choosing between staying put or going abroad, the moral incentive arising out of subsidized education plays no part in student's decision.
Cultural bankruptcy of middle class apart the impersonal nature of subsidy ensure lack of moral incentive, instead there is moral incentive due to attaching with the family or security in familiar surrounding, this is what I pointed out in the article.
On the contrary any significant exit tax will discourage emigration, as it will make emigration less attractive.
In brief IITians are shameless
But why I am writing about this. It is because, the reason that I respect and place importance on opinions of people, whom Jagadguru fondly calls free market fundamentalist fools, is because they have something more than courage of conviction, which is courage of reason, courage of informed debate as opposed to,and I say this without exaggeration, all too familiar and heart-breaking, hollow rhetoric which passes as discourse in India.
Unfortunately it is a common human failing to value form over content, a failing which is exacerbated by the exhilaration induced upon reading of Freakonomics. Which is why, sometimes a desire to shock and awe (utterly pwned here and here) prevails over dispassionate analysis. Result can only be termed as "Thinking it through".

14 comments:
Dictator,
Opportunity cost of capital is simply the interest rate it would have earned in the economy. Externalities do not need to be counted in it. I offer you educational loan of X rs, I charge y percent interest rate, which is about equal to the interest rate in the market. You and the economy can go on and benefit from the externalities of education - I don't take that into account in the amount that I recover from you. Simple, straight calculations - no unnecessary complications.
Ohh, and I am not important enough to shock and awe.
And since you mention about imposing a 'high enough penalty' - higher than the opportunity cost of picking at leisure, try reading up on Gary Becker and his theories about the right quantum of penalties on crimes.
Ritwik,
From Wiki
"In economics, opportunity cost, or economic cost, is the cost of something in terms of an opportunity forgone (and the benefits which could be received from that opportunity), or the most valuable forgone alternative (or highest-valued option forgone), i.e. the second best alternative. An early representation of the concept of opportunity cost is the broken window fallacy illustrated by Frédéric Bastiat in 1850."
Now if second best alternative is always interest rate then yes you are right. However my thinking was Government subsidizes education because the returns (in forms of externalities) are higher than any other option available (including interest rates), therefore the second best alternative would have been to subsidize someone else's higher education, and therefore opportunity cost should equal returns.
Of course I always plead ignorance in these matters.
Reg, shock and awe I meant Rajaydhashka not you, let me change it so that there is no confusion.
Reg reading that seems like too much work and also boring,
This being fun blog kindly refrain from mentioning boring activity :-)
1. Do not take the 'second best alternative' phrase to heart. It is an over-simplification. In the chance that you're engaging in the second best activity, our opportunity cost would be the income from the first best activity (provided you have the skills to do this first best activity).
2. opportunity costs are always measured for different economic activities. Opportunity cost of growing rice in a field is, say, the returns from growing wheat in that field - not some other set of rice.
wrt 1 and 2, the opportunity cost of a capital investment is the interest rate. This is so because though it (government bonds) is not the most productive investment, it is stable. For example, if I have made 20% returns from the stock maket last year, and am now thinking of investing in real estate, my opportunity cost will still be 10% (interest rate)and not 20%.
This is specifically so in the case of positive externalities - because they are by definition benefits that you accrue (directly or indirectly) that you haven't paid for in the main line of your economic activity.
Of course there are complexities involved and am not aware of all of them. 2 more coyrses in economics should shed some more light!
Dunali ?? yeh dekho... Chhenali.. iske saamne koi nahi khada reh sakta.
http://dillonaero.com/SM134.html
Ritwik,
You may write long comments going round and round, but the crux of the matter is - Exit tax impinges on the freedom of the individual.
And by the way, from your comments on acorn, an MBA may not like to work for New Delhi Power or whatever. Everyone wants to make life better for himself or herself. The MBA might choose to work for better work conditions or better money or some other incentive. He/She should not be denied that freedom, isnt it so?
Also, since when did going to live in a foreign country become something that needs to be discouraged ?? Ironically, the same government considers NRIs as extending the cultural influence of India.. The antics of this monkey government never cease to amuse..
Shadows,
No crux of the matter is not freedom, not by a long shot.
Let me spell out the issue for you,
Government subsidizes IITians, in doing so it expects some returns, however when IITians go abroad government misses out on the returns.
Of course a better option would be to stop subsidizing the higher education.
However since that is not going to happen any time soon, the question is should government try to cut its losses by recovering the subsidy.
Ritwik is saying yes it makes sense to recover the cost.
Now I am sure you don't mean that MBA has the "right" to educate himself on "others" money, do you ?
Focus people focus !
Ritwik,
1. There is no taking to heart, if you wish, it could be "best among alternatives", though I am curious, economically speaking,why would one engage in second best activity, economics rests on the assumption that any transaction is to maximize utility (assuming perfect information of course).
2. Opportunity costs are measured not for different economic activities but in terms of alternate uses of a given capital.
For example if there are two different types of rice it is perfectly alright to compare them, of course if one wishes he can open a stripper joint.
Ok I am not sure about stability point of view, for me it should still be 20% , but I guess it will need some degree of assurance, so it may be that what you are saying makes sense.
By the way I am really disappointed. I would like to remind you that this post was not about correct value of tax (which even you will agree is not very easy to derive), but Mr Pai's folly in introducing moral incentive.
Focus people focus !
Gaurav,
Yes I know that the focus of your post was different. But since I agree with you on that, I didn't see the point of further discussion. So I just spoke about those parts of your post which I felt may not be spot on.
Moral incentives, of course, are crap - they are absolutely individual and can in no way be dealt with systemically. I have a feeling that the Israeli parents did not come on time because they wanted to play a game of 'who's the boss' with the teachers. Once the tax was removed, they had just become habituated to the new schedule and so did not changae their behaviour.
Ok I am getting little pissed off here. This post is not about freedom, this post is not about Muslims, this post is not about ICICI bank.
Please focus and stay on topic, otherwise I will start deleting the goddamn comments.
Are we clear here ?
Post a Comment