ID in America : controversy Part 2
Continuation of previous post, which itself was based on Sandeep's post.
I would like to analyze the root cause of this controversy (in my view unwarranted). In general I prefer to surf conservative American sites (for their unambiguous stand on terrorism), when this controversy was at it's peak, I was able to read the opinion of Christian right and to put it mildly it was disappointing.
In general that group indulged in all sort of fallacies and sophistry in order to prove that evolution was flawed and bible revealed the absolute truth. It was personally disappointing in the sense that as a Hindu I assume all the other religions will make an effort to be flexible and what is more imbibe modern science, however such a mindless advocacy of creationism in the misplaced belief about superiority of bible to anything else was a jolt to my world view.
I do not claim that Hinduism doesn't have it's share of superstitions , however to see educated middle class citizens of world's most "enlightened nation" shun wisdom and embrace ignorance doesn't speak well about either the country or the religion.
I have a theory about it, the trouble is with western civilization, it is a strange beast , to say the least.
While it's religion is of Judeo- Christian nature , it's science and philosophy is for a large part Greek and roman. This means that there is a inherent schism. Even Greek philosophy had the concept of dualism (mind vesus matter), as did Christianity (of good versus evil). This means that either it is religion which dominates and science is vanquished as happened during dark ages or science dominated vanquishing religion as happens today with atheism dominating religion.
This means that both the sides remain in state of perpetual hostility towards each other.
This also means that the as natural in all such confrontation both sides take an absolutist position more out of instinct of hostility than conviction.
In a way it is sad , because Christians are grasping for faith in this age where everything, be it morality, society or family is under serious challenge from hedonism. What a pity then , what they grasp, instead of benefiting them spiritually , sinks them more and more into morass of obstructionism.

2 comments:
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it Construction loans poor credit http://www.used-land-rover.info Contact lens help
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »
Post a Comment