Thursday, September 27, 2007

Silver Lining

I am hardly a fan of Indian Idol. A long long time back, when I was young and the blog was just a awkward and meaning less word, there used to be something called Meri Awaaz Suno, which used to be about music.

In contrast Indian Idol is about third rate melodrama, and second rate packaging, music is incidental (accidental ?). I find no reason why anyone should watch Indian Idol ( but then I don't know of any reason why one should watch TV in the first place.

However there has been one advantage of Indian Idol, it has managed to bring India together even if in a small way. The finalists Prashant Tamang and Amit Paul, both hailing from North East, the most overlooked region of the India and also most alienated perhaps. The win in Indian Idol brings out a feeling of assurance of their place in vast Indian family. We need to assure everyone, however few the number, every tradition, memory and past is counted in the Indian identity.

Perhaps that is the right way to build India.

PS. Can we go easy on pissing each other off ? First step of which would be perhaps resisting the temptation to call strangers Chinki, Madrasi or Bhaiyya.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rather, words like Madrasi etc. should start sounding lighter. Already there are many malayALis who relish jokes on mallu accent, not to mention the countless sardArjis who tell sardArji jokes. We don't want an air of political correctness to obscure things.

As for the "right" way to integrate northeast, this is certainly one of them. Positively involving them in any way - be it through investments in the region, RSS shAkhAs or whatnot might help in undoing the damage caused by leftist dogs who leave no stone unturned in making North East people, muslims etc. feel alienated.

doubtinggaurav said...

Frog,

I agree, but it is good manners to be polite to strangers.