Tap Dancing
Ravikiran explains Hindu rate of growth as a bad pun gone horribly wrong.
Now I knew beforehand what secular rate of growth means, basically some trend like thingy (thanks to interwebs), but it doesn't really prove anything.
For one still there is little matter of how "Hindu" is not the first word which comes to mind when one is looking for antonyms of "secular", even during the Nehruvian era. Of course it would be a different matter altogether, if Ravikiran had evidence for the usage, but somehow knowing him I doubt he has any, for this is not his usual but cartelspeak.
Also there are references galore* which indicate that Hindu rate of growth had negative connotations**, which had to do with historical western perspective of Hindus as fatalist, meek and passive. Of course he would call it paranoia of a Hindutvavadi ***(that is moi), I could have asked him to verify with JK or Mr Dey, only thing I suspect for Ravi both JK and Mr Dey would be Hindutvavadis. Of course for Ravi googling is probably a back breaking task.
Ultimately it comes to this, Ravi has nothing to support his conjecture that Raj Krishna was a poor misunderstool soul who was just having, you know, a bit of fun, but somehow not only he was incompetent enough to not find the correct antonym (which is communal or probably sectarian, for those who didn't study in KV ), but also unfortunate enough to tap into a well established negative stereotype of Hindus for his little joke.
Hmmm, I don't know, but to me it smell like ...... Crap ??
Now reverse the situation, can you imagine how he would have acted if someone else, suppose Shivam or Big Boob was doing this tap dance, how Ravi would have responded ? I don't think there is any need to imagine. So it is seen that Ravi is doing the spinning, but it is us Hindutvavadis who are conspiracy theorists. Well what can I say, Ravi is an honorable man.
Dear Ravi, what gives ?
PS When one gets dizzy from the spinning, one starts vomiting snarks with no point.
PPS . Of course to keep things in perspective, he has said in the past that Raj followed free trade Well ! To paraphrase what Nietzsche said about Christians, in cartelian creed, ideology never came into contact with history at any point.
PPPS This post explain my fundamental distrust of "Indian" libertarians, they are basically intelligent and articulate guys, but they are enslaved to the dogma. And just to clarify I wouldn't have written this if it were His Eminence or Desi John Galt who were being snarky, they are hopeless cases, I expect better from Ravi than this drivel.
* Speaking of galore, which is the best bond movie ever. I am going to download it.
** Of course there is a simple explanation wiki has been hijacked by Hindutvavadis. And yet it is us who are paranoid, not Ravi. Projection anyone ? By the way how come Indian embassy in Russia is also peddling this great Hindutvavadi deception ? O overlord you magnificent bastard person of unknown parentage !
*** Properly speaking I think we should differentiate between "Hindutva" and "hindutva", former being the ideology proposed by Veer Savarkar. I have not read Savarkar, so I really don't know whether I am Hindutvavaadi or not.

11 comments:
who is big boob?
DD
Who thought of this metaphor first? I am amazed by the amount of association that went into it.
Btw, the captcha just asked me to type "stdin". Am I imagining things?
I did . Needless to say I made my mother very proud.
Well may be the reason you are seeing "stdin" is that you are supposed to be working ??
If you are talking about this post, read the first comment. :-)
Dear Sir,
As it happens, I find myself on the same side of this debate as you. But I don't see why that particular reference is objectionable.
The sentence goes like this:
"Even 15 years ago, India was described as a slumbering giant, or the caged tiger, with economists making derogatory references to the "Hindu" rate of growth (of 3 per cent a year)."
As you would have surely noticed, the word "Hindu" has been put in quotes and the reference has been called "derogatory" - clearly implying that this description of Indian Economy was not fair. What part of that is objectionable to you?
I don't work at the Indian Embassy in Russia anymore, but I can give you the e-mail address to which you can send your objection (preferably along with an alternative sentence to replace it). Here it is:
infowing@mail.ru
Dear Overlord,
I think there is some confusion. I didn't find the reference objectionable, In fact I cited the reference to support my claim that the term is used in derogatory sense.
And you not working with embassy ? Don't tell me that you moved with some Natasha, could be honey trap you know ;-)
Dear Sir,
Confusion resolved.
I am in agreement with you that the term is derogatory.
I left a comment for Ravikiran as well, in which I pointed out the correct "natural antonym" to secular during Nehru's time. Ravi is yet to respond to that, but he is a busy man, and he pays my salary, so I am not going to drag the issue.
I am not working with the Embassy any more. I moved to Vladivostok about a week ago. We have a small Consulate General here.
And don't worry, I am not falling for any traps that Natashas might have for me :)
Dear Sir,
I hope it is not Boris then :-P
Hey I didnt see you in the discussion in Acorn where some readers wanted Yossarin, Atanu and Sandeep fired from INI.
Sriram,
I don't go there anymore.
Post a Comment